The first half of this year felt like a turning point, although I did not recognize it immediately. There was no single defining moment when everything suddenly became better. There was no dramatic realization, no carefully written plan, and no particular morning when I woke up feeling like a completely different person. The change happened gradually, almost quietly. I simply began to notice that I was approaching work with more enthusiasm. I was becoming excited about ideas again. I was looking forward to projects instead of immediately feeling weighed down by everything they would require. Somewhere along the way, work began to feel less like something I had to get through and more like something I genuinely wanted to do.
That realization became even more meaningful when I compared it with how I felt last year.
Last year, my mental health was constantly up and down. Some days were manageable, while others felt much heavier. There were moments when I was motivated, productive, and hopeful, but that energy could disappear just as quickly. The instability affected more than my mood. It influenced the way I saw myself, the way I interpreted situations, and the way I approached my responsibilities. Work that would normally feel manageable could suddenly seem overwhelming. A minor setback could feel like evidence that I was not doing enough, while an ordinary challenge could make me question whether I was capable at all.
When you are struggling internally, it becomes difficult to keep that struggle contained in one part of your life.
It follows you into your routines, your relationships, your decisions, and your work. Even if you continue showing up and completing what needs to be done, there can still be a quiet heaviness beneath it all. From the outside, you may appear productive. You may attend meetings, meet deadlines, respond to messages, and carry out your responsibilities. But internally, you may be working twice as hard just to remain present.
There were times last year when work felt like a reflection of whatever I was going through emotionally. On better days, I could see opportunities and possibilities. On difficult days, I saw pressure, uncertainty, and reasons to doubt myself. The work itself may not have changed, but the lens through which I viewed it certainly did. That is one of the difficult things about mental health: it can change the meaning of experiences that once felt familiar. It can make you question your abilities, even when your skills have not disappeared. It can convince you that you are falling behind, even when you are still moving forward.
Perhaps that is why the first half of this year has felt so different.
I began noticing a new kind of energy in myself. There was a sudden burst of enthusiasm, excitement, and joy in the things I was doing. I found myself becoming deeply invested in projects—not only because they were part of my job, but because I genuinely wanted to see them succeed. Ideas began to excite me again. Challenges made me curious instead of immediately anxious. Even the pressure that came with bigger responsibilities felt different. It was still pressure, but it was accompanied by purpose.
I found particular happiness in doing big things.
Large projects can be demanding. They require patience, coordination, decision-making, and the willingness to remain committed even when the way forward is not always clear. They can occupy your thoughts long after the workday ends. They can test your confidence and expose the areas where you still have much to learn. Yet, strangely, these were also the things that made me feel most alive. The more meaningful and ambitious the project was, the more engaged I became.
Maybe it was because bigger projects gave me something clear to move toward. They allowed me to use different parts of myself—the part that enjoys solving problems, the part that wants to create, the part that finds satisfaction in bringing people and ideas together, and the part that still believes good work can make a real difference. These projects demanded a lot from me, but they also gave something back. They gave me momentum. They gave me a reason to stretch beyond what was comfortable. They reminded me that I was capable of carrying responsibility and turning ideas into something tangible.
More than anything, they made me feel valued.
Feeling valued is not always about receiving praise or being publicly recognized. Sometimes, it is found in the simple act of being trusted with something important. It is in being asked for your perspective because people believe it matters. It is in knowing that your contribution affects the direction and outcome of a project. It is in realizing that your presence is not incidental—that there is something you bring to the table that is distinctly yours.
That sense of trust changed the way I saw my work, but it also began to change the way I saw myself. Instead of focusing only on what I lacked or what I could have done better, I began to notice what I was already capable of doing. I saw the experience I had accumulated, the instincts I had developed, and the strengths that had perhaps become invisible to me because I was too accustomed to carrying them.
I started to recognize that growth does not always announce itself. Sometimes, you only see it when you are placed in a situation that requires you to become the person you have quietly been becoming all along.
I am still not completely sure what motivated this turnaround. Perhaps it was the nature of the projects themselves. Perhaps I was finally given the kind of work that matched my need for creativity, challenge, and purpose. Perhaps something within me had begun to heal, allowing me to experience enthusiasm that had been buried beneath exhaustion and self-doubt. It may have been a combination of many things: better circumstances, greater trust, meaningful opportunities, the right people, and the gradual return of my own confidence.
Maybe motivation is not always something we can explain neatly. We often talk about it as though it must come from a single goal or a clearly defined source. We assume that motivated people wake up knowing exactly what drives them. But my experience has been much less straightforward. Sometimes, motivation appears only after we begin. It grows when we become immersed in something that matters to us. It strengthens when our work challenges us without making us feel invisible. It becomes joy when we realize that what we are doing connects with a part of ourselves that has been waiting to feel useful again.
At the same time, I do not want to reduce this experience to the idea that staying busy is the answer to struggling. Busyness can sometimes distract us from what we need to confront, and productivity is not a substitute for healing. I learned this the hard way. Our value should never depend entirely on how much we accomplish or how much responsibility we can carry. There will be slower seasons, difficult days, and moments when rest is more necessary than achievement. I am learning that these realities can coexist:
Work can give us purpose, while rest reminds us that we are worthy even when we are not producing anything.
What made this season different was not simply that I had more things to do. It was that the things I was doing felt meaningful. There is an important difference between being occupied and being engaged. Being occupied fills your time. Being engaged gives that time a sense of direction. The projects I worked on did not merely keep me busy; they invited me to care. They allowed me to contribute, imagine, lead, learn, and build. They made me feel connected to something beyond the completion of another task.
In that sense, work became one of the places where I found parts of myself again.
I found the version of me who gets excited by possibilities. I found the person who enjoys taking on challenges and thinking about how things could be done better. I found the confidence to make decisions, offer ideas, and trust my own judgment. I found joy not because everything was easy, but because I could once again see meaning in the effort. After a year of emotional uncertainty, that return felt significant.
Of course, the first half of this year was not perfect. A turnaround does not mean that every difficult feeling disappears. There were still stressful moments, tiring weeks, and situations that tested my patience. I still had moments of doubt. The difference was that those moments no longer seemed to define the entire experience. They became part of the work rather than proof that I was failing at it. I could feel tired without believing I had lost my passion. I could encounter a setback without assuming that everything was falling apart.
Perhaps that is one of the clearest signs that something had changed: I became more capable of holding both difficulty and joy at the same time.
I could acknowledge that a project was exhausting while still feeling grateful to be part of it. I could recognize the pressure of responsibility while also appreciating the trust behind it. I could admit that I did not have every answer without immediately questioning whether I belonged in the room. The challenges remained, but my relationship with them became healthier. They stopped feeling like judgments of my worth and started becoming opportunities to grow.
Looking back, I feel deeply grateful for this season. I am grateful for the projects that demanded more from me and, in doing so, showed me that I had more to give. I am grateful for the people who trusted me, included me, and allowed my ideas to take up space. I am grateful for the moments when work felt exciting again—not because I had forgotten how difficult the previous year had been, but because I understood exactly how meaningful it was to feel that excitement return.
I also feel grateful to myself for continuing to show up, even during the periods when I could not see where things were heading.
We often celebrate the version of ourselves that succeeds, creates, leads, and accomplishes something visible. We do not always give enough credit to the version that simply survives uncertainty. But perhaps the joy I experienced this year was made possible by the person I was last year: the person who kept going even when motivation was inconsistent, confidence was fragile, and the future felt unclear.
There is something comforting about realizing that a difficult season does not get the final word. It may change us, slow us down, or make us question things we once knew about ourselves, but it does not mean that enthusiasm is gone forever. Joy can return in unexpected forms. Sometimes, it returns through rest. Sometimes, it returns through people. And sometimes, it returns through a large, complicated project that reminds you how much you still care.
As I move into the second half of the year, I want to carry this realization with me. I want to continue choosing work that allows me to grow without losing myself in the process. I want to remain ambitious while also respecting my limits. I want to celebrate the excitement I feel without turning it into another expectation I must constantly meet.
Most of all, I want to remember that my value is not created by the work I do, even if meaningful work sometimes helps me recognize that value more clearly.
I still cannot name the exact reason things turned around. Maybe I will understand it better with time, or maybe it will always remain a combination of circumstances, opportunities, healing, and choice. What I know is that something shifted. The weight became lighter. My confidence began to return. Work became a source of energy instead of only an obligation.
And after everything that last year carried, feeling excited, joyful, and valued again has been one of the most meaningful accomplishments of all.

No comments:
Post a Comment